Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Photo Final

For my final project in Advanced Traditional Processes class, I chose to use my self as the subject.
I was inspired by photographers Cindy Sherman, Francesca Woodman, and Gabriela Herman.  I like the idea of combining the familiar and the strange.  So I set out to photograph myself in natural landscape and then use my self as the model/object in the photos.  The 'strange' part of the photos was where I captured the movement.  I became just a creepy, or whimsical figure in the landscape.  I set my camera on a tripod, used the self timer, and shot on a slow shutter speed.  I wore a white nightgown.

Here is one of my favorites:

I really enjoyed this project.  I learned a lot!  It pushed me out of my comfort zone because I would have the chance of people who may see me acting ridiculous running and twirling around in fields (which did happen a handful of times).  I also learned more how to develop the best black and white prints I can.  I still have a lot to learn to get it perfect with skill, and not just luck.

I got a lot of great feedback during the critique.  This may become my 'thing", the type of photos I take, I just need to explore more with it.


It was also my first time developing on 11"x13" pieces of paper.  It was really exciting and I think they look so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment